The Mosamat Budhiya Shiksha Nirman Sangathan (MBSNS), was registered under the Trust Act on 11th October, 2017. Though the registration is new, this educational initiative itself is born out of a ten year old struggle that started in Araria district of North Bihar. The struggle was a humble attempt to ensure that people’s entitlements under laws like the NREGA were met. In the process we committed ourselves to building a better world, “nyay samanta ho aadhaar aisa rachenge ham sansar!”
However, even in the early phase of our struggle we understood that the struggle was as much within as outside. The hierarchies that we saw outside had made their homes in our hearts and minds. And we have in our own limited ways tried to keep our caste, class, gender, religion and minorities lenses on to ensure that we worked with justice in our heart and in our actions. This education initiative is to strengthen what we have instinctively known, as Dr. Ambedkar said “Shikshit Ho! Sangathit ho! Sangharsh Karo! Sangharsh Karo!”
The Trust was named after our local hero Mosamat Budhiya, read her story here.
- December 2022: ending the year strongWhat a year we have had! So much learning, unlearning, re-learning, and co-learning. This year, our children have surprised us, strengthened us, and sustained us. And we hope that they continue to flourish in years to come… A highlight of this month was the sports day. We value sports at Jeevanshala not just for theContinue reading “December 2022: ending the year strong”
- November 2022- a month of usual & extraordinaryThe month of November was full of usual activities mixed with a few extraordinary ones. We welcomed the students back on November 15th, and all students lined up and cheered for each other as seen in the photo below. It is this kind of togetherness and solidarity among students that keeps us going. Have youContinue reading “November 2022- a month of usual & extraordinary”
- October, 2022 – A Year Later at Eklavya, BhopalOctober brought with it several activities but also some down time for repair and restoration. As photos below show, we made a trip to Eklavya, Bhopal. With our long-time co-travelers at Eklavya, we refreshed what we had learnt one year ago. We further worked on social science and science teaching and learning for middle school.Continue reading “October, 2022 – A Year Later at Eklavya, Bhopal”
- September, 2022 – The Theatre MonthPhotos above are from the “Theatre of the Oppressed” workshop held at the jeevanshala, this month. This style of theatre believes in dialogue with the audience as contradictory to conventional theatre practice. The issue is selected by the performers and in between the act, audience is called for interaction or discussion on the issue. TheContinue reading “September, 2022 – The Theatre Month”
- August, 2022 – Opening up of Bank accountsAugust saw the beginning of the Children’s bank at the Jeevanshala. Children at the Jeevanshala have their own passbooks and operate their own accounts. They deposit their cash with the Bank Manager (also the Centre Sanchalak) Rabindra Bhaiya. Whenever they need any commodity, they fill a requisition slip. Once they receive their item, Rabindra BhaiyaContinue reading “August, 2022 – Opening up of Bank accounts”