The Mosamat Budhiya Shiksha Nirman Sangathan (MBSNS), was registered under the Trust Act on 11th October, 2017. Though the registration is new, this educational initiative itself is born out of a ten year old struggle that started in Araria district of North Bihar. The struggle was a humble attempt to ensure that people’s entitlements under laws like the NREGA were met. In the process we committed ourselves to building a better world, “nyay samanta ho aadhaar aisa rachenge ham sansar!”
However, even in the early phase of our struggle we understood that the struggle was as much within as outside. The hierarchies that we saw outside had made their homes in our hearts and minds. And we have in our own limited ways tried to keep our caste, class, gender, religion and minorities lenses on to ensure that we worked with justice in our heart and in our actions. This education initiative is to strengthen what we have instinctively known, as Dr. Ambedkar said “Shikshit Ho! Sangathit ho! Sangharsh Karo! Sangharsh Karo!”
The Trust was named after our local hero Mosamat Budhiya, read her story here.
- September, 2022 – The Theatre MonthPhotos above are from the “Theatre of the Oppressed” workshop held at the jeevanshala, this month. This style of theatre believes in dialogue with the audience as contradictory to conventional theatre practice. The issue is selected by the performers and in between the act, audience is called for interaction or discussion on the issue. TheContinue reading “September, 2022 – The Theatre Month”
- August, 2022 – Opening up of Bank accountsAugust saw the beginning of the Children’s bank at the Jeevanshala. Children at the Jeevanshala have their own passbooks and operate their own accounts. They deposit their cash with the Bank Manager (also the Centre Sanchalak) Rabindra Bhaiya. Whenever they need any commodity, they fill a requisition slip. Once they receive their item, Rabindra BhaiyaContinue reading “August, 2022 – Opening up of Bank accounts”
- July, 2022- at the JeevanshalaUnlike conventional classroom spaces, children at Jeevanshala are free to use the floor for various activities. This helps in expressing themselves not just through writing or drawing, but also through their body language. MBSNS Jeevanshala TLs have been providing training to youths working with children on story reading. Story reading and writing is an integralContinue reading “July, 2022- at the Jeevanshala”
- June, 2022 – Monsoon preparation at the JeevanshalaJune is the beginning of heavy rainfall in Araria. Thus we decided to construct a brick pathway inside the center. Children constructed this pathway in their morning shramdaan. Early in the month we had an intense discussion with Nasir bhai a Journalist and an old friend of the Jeevanshala. Nasir bhai started the discussion withContinue reading “June, 2022 – Monsoon preparation at the Jeevanshala”
- End of summer Break, preparation for learningPost the summer break, all of us met and greeted each other with love and hugs. After the initial get together, everyone got into a frenzied cleaning spree – fans, almirahs, carpets were brushed, rooms and floors were scrubbed clean and we got started. This was a great management feat on the part of theContinue reading “End of summer Break, preparation for learning”